Friday, August 15, 2008

Arrival - Pete's first blog post from Galápagos

10-8-2008 (end of week 1)

Hi, welcome to my first blog post. I will be keeping this blog while working as a volunteer for the Charles Darwin Foundation (CDF) at the Charles Darwin Research Station (CDRS) in the Galápagos Islands for the next 3 months. Further installments will hopefully be a little shorter and I will also have more photos to share.

A short introduction
I was selected by Friends of Galapagos New Zealand (FOGNZ) and the Hamish Saunders Memorial Fund (HSMF) as a professional volunteer to help the Fisheries group in BIOMAR (Marine Biology... or officially, 'The Department of Marine Research and Coastal Conservation') here to assimilate/clean/integrate their fisheries data within a spatial context in preparation for sharing in a multi-user environment. Spatial (relating to, occupying, or happening in space) data can be accessed through a GIS (Geographical Information System) which, very basically, allows you to view/manipulate/analyse data based on its geographic location, e.g. a map might show where breeding colonies of fur seals are known to exist and their population densities relative to each other.

Arrival
I caught my first glimpse of the islands while descending through the clouds on approach for landing on Baltra Island. Two small islands appeared against the backdrop of a much larger island, with gently rising slopes that disappeared into the garua (mist). The arid nature of the lowlands became obvious as we landed on Baltra, where dry grasses and cacti contrast against darkish red and black volcanic rocks. The dry, or garua season runs from June to November and both air and sea temperatures are slightly cooler than in the wet and hotter season (more).

Off the plane, my instructions as a volunteer for CDF were to join the Los Nacionales (Nationals) queue, which was much shorter than that for International visitors. My queue seemed to take forever to shrink and I found out later that there are strict rules in place for nationals visiting the islands to prevent excessive migration - apparently making it more difficult than visiting the U.S. for some. Ironically, when I finally got to show an official my paperwork I was directed straight to the ‘International visitor’ queue and ended up being last through.

A bus took us to a ferry on the other side of the island. This was where I caught my first glimpses of wildlife. A penguin was preening itself about 20 metres along the shoreline from the pier. I checked to see if anybody else had spotted it, but nobody seemed to have noticed. Bright red crabs scurried over the rough black volcanic rock and frigate birds soared high overhead. My eyes were starting to pop out of my head as I ducked into the waiting ferry and found myself a good viewing spot. A dark shape loomed above towards the back of the boat and a very large pelican glided just over the roof. On the short ferry ride across to Santa Cruz Island I spotted another 5 species of birds, including flamingos. There were seals, boobies and… well, you get the idea! I’m supposed to be keeping this blog for 3 months, so I’ll not get too carried away so soon.

After a 45 minute bus ride through the cool and misty highland interior I arrived in Puerto Ayora on the southern side of Santa Cruz. I was almost at my destination. A 10 minute walk along the bricked main road (Av. Charles Darwin) took me almost to the end of town and past a host of colourful small restaurants and souvenir shops. I caught a taxi the rest of the way as my pack revealed its true weight. A taxi ride costs US$1 and gets you anywhere in town apparently.

The Charles Darwin Research Station is just within the boundaries of the National Park and I eventually got to the core buildings and a reception area. My largely forgotten Spanish was going to be put to the test for the first time. I asked for directions to the volunteer’s office, but the person I had been dealing with by email for many months was away. A helpful 20 year veteran of the station showed me to a shared room and he explained that there was only one key and another needed to be cut. Door left unlocked, I went to find the BIOMAR offices and met most of the team that afternoon.

The first few days were spent trying to get a handle on the work that needed to be done and dealing with the admin type things that cropped up. When I eventually got to speak to my email contact in admin, I explained about the lack of a key and was told I had been put in the wrong room. I was moved to the room next door, which I have to myself for the moment at least. I am now slowly settling into life at the station.



Next week I’ll share more about the station (including the conservation icon that lives here) and its surroundings. Till then…

Pete