31/8/08 (end of week 4)
Welcome to my 4th blog post from the Charles Darwin Research Station - where I am currently working as a volunteer in the Department of Marine Research and Coastal Conservation.
So, that's August done and dusted. I've had a chance to settle in this first month and had the opportunity to do some exploring on Santa Cruz Island. I'm hoping to go further afield soon and head out to some of the other islands nearby.
The past week has seen steady progress on the fisheries monitoring sites database I am working on (see last week’s blog) - I now have a significant number of sites (1500+) viewable in a digital map and there are still more sites to add.
I was glad for a break away from the station this weekend to stay at the house of some work colleagues nearby. I was able to watch a DVD and relax in a room large enough to swing an iguana in (figuratively speaking of course!). Unfortunately, the water pump stopped working at some stage on Saturday, and Sunday ended up being a waterless day. I can live without tap water (which isn't drinkable) for a few days, but I was obviously concerned that the earliest returning resident home would be without a working pump and water. All has now, thankfully, been resolved.
Tonight I’m off to a small farewell dinner at a restaurant that serves the best sushi in town (apparently).
This weekend I am thinking of an early morning trip out to Las Grietas (see last week's blog) to avoid the crowds. Must take my snorkelling gear.
I'll leave you this week with more photos from the month of August....
Welcome to my 4th blog post from the Charles Darwin Research Station - where I am currently working as a volunteer in the Department of Marine Research and Coastal Conservation.
So, that's August done and dusted. I've had a chance to settle in this first month and had the opportunity to do some exploring on Santa Cruz Island. I'm hoping to go further afield soon and head out to some of the other islands nearby.
The past week has seen steady progress on the fisheries monitoring sites database I am working on (see last week’s blog) - I now have a significant number of sites (1500+) viewable in a digital map and there are still more sites to add.
I was glad for a break away from the station this weekend to stay at the house of some work colleagues nearby. I was able to watch a DVD and relax in a room large enough to swing an iguana in (figuratively speaking of course!). Unfortunately, the water pump stopped working at some stage on Saturday, and Sunday ended up being a waterless day. I can live without tap water (which isn't drinkable) for a few days, but I was obviously concerned that the earliest returning resident home would be without a working pump and water. All has now, thankfully, been resolved.
Tonight I’m off to a small farewell dinner at a restaurant that serves the best sushi in town (apparently).
This weekend I am thinking of an early morning trip out to Las Grietas (see last week's blog) to avoid the crowds. Must take my snorkelling gear.
I'll leave you this week with more photos from the month of August....
The month in pictures

Arrival

Marine Biology Laboratory & Offices at CDRS

Group huddle outside Marine Biology Laboratory

Panorama looking over the station out towards Puerto Ayora in Academy Bay (click image for larger version)

My transportation and the view from my front door

Dive trip

Dive trip - Kicker Rock

Dive trip - Playful Sea Lions

My office with its (at times) distracting view

Las Grietas

Heron

Lava Lizard

Española Island Tortoise

Land Iguana

Fish market - Puerto Ayora

Lava tunnel exit

Los Gemelos ('The Twins') panorama (click image for larger version)

Vermilion Flycatcher - Los Gemeles

Field scene - Santa Rosa

Wild tortoise - Santa Rosa
Till next week...
Pete