Welcome to my 7th blog post from the Galápagos Islands; a brief one after the substantial I
sabela blog. Here are a few more photos from the Isabela Island trip. Left is the beach next to Puerto Villamil on Isabela Island. On the right; close encounter of the sea lion kind on the boardwalk leading to Concha Perla Lagoon (see also 6th blog post).
A relatively quiet week on the work front; the sites database continues to grow, but the other databases requiring cleaning/creating are proving difficult to assess for a number of reasons, mainly due to availability of relevant up-to-date data. I synced all the GIS data from my laptop to a newly available PC from the old GIS office. I now have another option if issues arise and of course, another copy of the data. I'll be putting up a post dedicated to my daily work routine at the station and reflecting on my time here so far in the near future.
A number of volunteers working for various organizations got together midweek for a pizza & card playing evening starting at a local restaurant, and eventually shifting to a local bar with a table suitable for card playing (yeah, I was skeptical at the excuse too). We also arranged to meet up for an overnight camping trip on Saturday to Playa de Garrapatero with a number of local acquaintances.
Playa de Garrapatero (Garrapatero Beach)
On Saturday, we met at 11am outside a camping store to rent tents. It was my job to help in haggling, something I did plenty of in my travels through Asia. The quoted price was $45 for three tents, but we managed to get them for $25; a reasonable result (I was trying for $15!). There were three Xaviers on the trip, which did lead to a number of ‘which one?’ moments. We loaded up taxi Xavier’s car and most of us headed off to on the 40 minute drive to the beach. The rest would make their way over
later.Xavier dropped us off and would return later. After a hot, fully laden 20 minute walk from the carpark, we arrived at the beach – a very welcome sight. A National Park ranger explained the rules which another Xavier translated where necessary. We then headed off to find a good spot to put up the tents. Only a few
day trippers were about and as we were the only ones camping. We chose a breezy spot near the beach and away from the resident mosquitos. Tents pitched and it was time to relax. There were 2 Greater flamingoes (resident, sometimes considered an endemic subspecies) at the far end of a nearby lagoon and I saw a Great Blue Heron (resident, endemic subspecies) up close, as well as (see 5th blog post for photos) Black-necked Stilts, White-cheeked Pintails, whimbrels and (I think) Sanderlings . Two more colleagues joined us in the meantime and towards dinnertime Xavier returned with the 3rd Xavier.
day trippers were about and as we were the only ones camping. We chose a breezy spot near the beach and away from the resident mosquitos. Tents pitched and it was time to relax. There were 2 Greater flamingoes (resident, sometimes considered an endemic subspecies) at the far end of a nearby lagoon and I saw a Great Blue Heron (resident, endemic subspecies) up close, as well as (see 5th blog post for photos) Black-necked Stilts, White-cheeked Pintails, whimbrels and (I think) Sanderlings . Two more colleagues joined us in the meantime and towards dinnertime Xavier returned with the 3rd Xavier.It was time to place soccer to decide who would cook.
First to 3 goals would resign the losing team to cooking duties. We started off badly and were 2 nil down in as many minutes; it was time to step up our game. Summoning long lost pace and skills reminiscent of more youthful days - I scored 2 goals (I suffered for it afterwards). The scores were tied and the next goal would decide our fate.
The other team kicked off and advanced towards our goal. They created an opening and just before striker/3rd Xavier could shoot, one of the girls put in a timely tackle and the ball ended up at another/our Xavier’s feet. He put himself into position to shoot, and unleashed the most devastatingly… feeble shot at their goal. The ball lamely rolled towards goalkeeper/taxi Xavier who nonchalantly went to pick it up… and promptly fumbled it, letting the ball go through his legs and destining his team to cooking duties!Dinner was all the nicer for having somebody else cook it and we had great evening chatting while sitting around the BBQ. Later, I went for a walk on the beach and watched dozens of hermit crabs making their way along the beach in the torchlight.

The next day we slowly got up and had a relaxing morning, although it looked like every bug at the beach had bitten one of the girls, who had been sleeping next to their tent entrance and would later require an injection to help with the swelling in her hand. I finished my book ‘The Galapagos Affair’ by John Treherne, which covers the murderous(?) events that occurred on Floreana. We left at midday and after lunch in Puerto Ayora, headed our respective ways.
More next week…
Pete